condition: good cylinders: 4 cylinders drive: rwd fuel: gas odometer: 99726 paint color: black size: compact title status: clean transmission: manual type: coupe
QR Code Link to This Post
1982 BMW 320is E21 $5500
I am parting ways with my beloved E21.
Purchased in Corvallis in 2015 and taken back to Idaho until it returned to the Portland area November of 2018. The car has been well taken care of in my hands and I have slowly added to it over the years. The original story I received about the car when I purchased it was that it was a Barn find and then restored to working order until I purchased it. Whether this is true or not is hard to determine. However, the carfax did show a gap in any registration or maintenance records, so it aligns with the story. That being said, many areas of the car are in great condition, others show age and wear as though the car sat for some time.
1. The interior is in very decent shape. Headliner is clean with minor water damage around the sunroof (the seal is bad).
2. The Recaros are in great shape compared to most others out there without being restored (Only missing Driver Side Release Tab)
3. The Dash only has a few cracks.
4. Carpet is clean and the rear seats are in good shape.
5. The odometer reads 99,726 (again, hard to know if this is accurate or not, it still ticks over though)
6. Most of the Car is original or Euro-Spec
1. Paint is not in the best condition. The hood has some odd speckling which leads me to believe it spent some time under a tree at some point and something was dropping on the hood.
2. There are various small dents which include one in the left rear under the taillight, one in the right rear C Pillar and a few on the sun roof
3. As I believe this car spent some time sitting, that means many seals have deteriorated and need replaced. This includes the sunroof, steering rack bushings, oil pan, fuel tank connecting breather hose and cv boots.
4. Previous owner tried to do something weird with the front fenders and the result is completely ruined paint on the forward half of the fenders (photos show this)
5. There are grooves in the windscreen from the wipers
6. Door Cards are loose at the bottom
7. Currently Leaking Oil (Positive this is the oil pan gasket as you can visibly see movement. I haven't been driving it with the Leak)
8. Idle is currently a little high and needs some TLC
9. Fuel Tank Breather/Transfer is bad and it will leak gas if full (this is common as this was a flawed design)
10. Exhaust Mount is Loose and bounces on bumps (Just needs tacked)
11. Missing Passenger Side Trim behind Front Wheel
Added and Replaced Items:
1. New transmission mount
2. Fresh redline transmission fluid
3. Fresh redline differential fluid
4. New Head (Rebuilt) purchased from Cylinder Heads International
5. Replaced the fan as it had been removed as well as the intake snorkel
6. New Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor
7. New Hoses and vacuum lines
8. Replaced Fuel In Tank Pump Seals
9. New Battery with 3 year warranty
10. Replaced Rear Tails with early model tails that are nearly crack free (Different light pattern, better IMO)
11. Euro Turn Signals
12. Euro Single Round Headlights
13. Air Conditioner Delete
14. Euro Center Console
15. Passenger Seatbelt Dash Light Delete
16. BMW Weighted M Shift Knob
17. Genuine BMW Hazard Switch
18. U.S License Plate Holder Removed (there is an LED strip added under the rear bumper, can be removed)
19. New Toyo Proxes Rubber - Only about 2000 miles on them (Wheels are Enkei 92's in Okay Condition)
20. Replaced Missing Interior Trim Pieces (Side Mirror Adjuster, Chrome Door Handle Caps, Genuine BMW Cigarette Lighter)
21. Leather Parking Brake Handle
22. New Horn Button
23. Sits on cut springs (Previous Owner Cut the Springs)
24. Borla Exhaust with no Catalytic Converter (Previous owner installed)
25. New Rear Drums and Brake Cylinder
Odd Bits and Additional Parts:
1. Urethane Steering Rack Bushings included but not installed
2. CV Boot Replacement Kit
3. Additional CPU
4. New Genuine BMW Old Stock Sun Visors (Not Installed)
5. Haynes Repair Manual
6. Additional Hazard Switch (Not Genuine BMW)
7. Additional Transmission Mount
8. Additional Sun Visor Clip
9. Various Fuses and Trim Clips
10. One (1) Genuine Flag Mirror from an Early Model with Plastic A Pillar Covers
11. Additional Brake Booster
12. Additional Vacuum Lines
13. Vacuum Test Kit
14. Additional Horn Ring
15. Mostly Full Deluxe Tool Kit (A bit O rust)
16. Rear Ash Trays still function
17. Upgraded to wheel studs with small spacers (5mm I believe)
I have driven this Car about a total of 4000 miles since I have owned it. The new head was installed and has about 500 miles on it. I have taken care of it and slowly tried to restore the parts I could at the time. My next step was to replace all the seals and get into the thick of it, but life has taken a different course and I just can't make the time for this car. Overall the car is in great shape and shows the age of a care that sat for some time. I've made upgrades aesthetically with euro pieces and parts to improve the overall look and feel of the car, now it just needs a little bit of elbow grease under the hood and she will be good to go. If you have any questions about the car or want any specific pictures please email me, I am happy to provide any information I left out or provide you pictures of areas you want to see in greater detail.
The car has its flaws but it has many great and improved areas as well. And for an estimated 2,500 320is models in the United States it is a great example of the first sport or "M" car before the all too famous E30 M3.
Price is $5500 - OBO
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers