compensation: $22.50 to $26.00 per hour employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
About Stash Tea
Stash was founded in Portland, Oregon in 1972 to challenge the convention and vibrantly reinterpret how people experience tea, by combining flavors in ways no one has before.
Since then, Stash Tea’s mission has been to brew the boredom out of the world, with best-in-class ingredients and diverse flavors that delight the senses, surprise your taste buds, and brew up brighter and true-to-name.
The Senior Quality Assurance Specialist function is the lead function within the Quality Assurance department. This position ensures that projects relating to new product development; quality control, and materials used for all products are of excellent quality, proper flavor profile, has accompanying paperwork, and can be procured when needed. This driven and dynamic position assists and oversees QA, and QC functions to achieve their joint goals.
Duties of Position (Noted Essential Functions*)
1. Assures that all materials used for new and already confirmed products have needed requirements met and are of the highest possible quality;*
2. Improve, develop, implement, and maintain an effective Quality Assurance program to include comprehensive GMP program: Chemical Control Program, Allergen Control, Kosher, Operational Methods and Personnel Practices, Cleaning and sanitation practices, preventive Maintenance and Repair, etc.;*
3. Assists in making decisions when product quality and food safety issues are encountered. As necessary, helps determine the need for and assist in product recalls;*
4. Lead in developing and maintaining Preventive Controls program and Food Safety Plan;*
5. Oversees daily/weekly/monthly/annual analytical testing of products to develop QC spec parameters and analyses is current—utilizing outside laboratories when necessary;*
6. Supports cross functional team and manages product scrutinization, sensory evaluation, and reformulation of current products;*
7. Is agent for continuous improvement, drives results and assists in problem solving/root cause investigations of quality and food safety related production problems;*
8. Assists in product, packaging, label, and website QA related reviews;*
9. Assists in training new and current team members;*
10. Fostering Stash Tea company culture in decisions and trainings;*
11. Coordinates, supports and trains QA staff members so that they are prepared to achieve success in all areas of their given functions;*
12. Is mindful of raw material management, its cost and value and its aging process;*
13. Primarily responsible for Raw Material and pre-ship approval.*
14. Maintains awareness of the business context and company profitability, including budgetary control issues;*
15. Helps assess the product specifications of the company, its suppliers, and compares and assesses changing customer requirements;*
16. Responsible for Organic program, oversees maintenance of organic products and certification;*
17. Works with purchasing staff to establish quality requirements and product specifications from external suppliers and ensuring all required documentation is maintained;*
18. Assists when needed with compliance on domestic, international, and other certification and legislation standards;*
19. Maintains awareness of new or changing industry and regulatory initiatives and requirements and works with upper management or necessary personnel to apply changes and requirements to Stash Tea;*
20. Defines and documents quality procedures in conjunction with staff;*
21. Ensures tests and procedures are properly understood, administered and evaluated and that product modifications are investigated if necessary;*
22. Primary contact for QA related customer complaints.*
23. Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in the Food Sciences or directly related field.
• 2 - 3 years of experience in quality assurance in food consumption products.
• Read, comprehend, and apply knowledge of all regulations and procedures of this position.
• Communicate (speak, read, and write) in English with customers, co-workers, supervisors, vendors and the public in face-to-face settings, or when on the telephone.
• Make mathematical calculations (multiplication, division, percentages, addition and subtraction)
• Resolve inquiries and complaints expressed by co-workers.
• Work within established organizational policies and regulations.
• Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
Compensation & Benefits
Our total rewards include competitive pay and excellent benefits. These include
• Health & dental (company pays 85% for employees, 80% paid for dependents)
• 11 Company Paid Holidays
• 2 weeks Paid Time Off (increases with employment longevity)
• Life Insurance, Long-term Disability Insurance company paid (Optional short-term disability)
• 401(k) retirement plan with company match