Job Title: Office Administrator Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt: 37.5 hours/week
Posted: March 25, 2019 Closing Date: Open until filled; apply by April 5, 2019 for best consideration
Reports to: Executive Director Supervises: Volunteers as needed Liaises with: All staff
Portland Youth Philharmonic (PYP), America’s first youth orchestra, seeks an organized, energetic, and talented professional to join our team as Office Administrator. This entry-level position is a fantastic opportunity for someone to gain a variety of experiences working in a nonprofit arts organization. The Office Administrator is a critical member of the PYP team, as they support all facets of the organization and is frequently the first person from PYP that the general public interacts with.
The Office Administrator maintains a functional office environment, manages the Box Office, conducts administrative tasks, assists staff as needed, and communicates with parents and the general public on matters relating to the organization.
PRIMARY TASKS AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Office Operations: processing incoming and outgoing mail, ordering office supplies, maintaining a functional office environment, keeping track of electronic equipment (phones, computers, copier, postage meter, etc.), serves as liaison with office building management;
• Box Office Management: taking ticket orders via phone, recording and processing payments, mailing tickets, managing subscription renewals, preparing will call tickets and staffing the will call table (including recruiting volunteers as needed), setting up events in ticketing systems, generating reports, and tracking sales and attendance;
• Event Support & Front of House Management: assisting with concert preparation, providing administrative support at concerts and events, securing volunteers to serve as ushers or box office personnel;
• Database Management & Development Support: entering and updating contact information, managing the student enrollment process and its integration in the database, running reports, generating email lists, processing contribution tax receipt letters, tracking and administering Friends of PYP donor benefits;
• Bookkeeping: supporting the Business Manager with accounts payable and receivable;
• Volunteer Coordination: securing volunteers for various tasks as needed
• Program and Newsletter Production: compiling content for newsletters and program books, assisting with distribution, and produce in-house materials;
• Communication: email, phone, and mail communication with staff, parents, board members, volunteers, alumni, music teachers, friends of the organization, and members of the general public, assist the Marketing & Communications Manager with updating the website;
• Customer Service: merchandise sales and meeting clients’ needs while maintaining the distinguished reputation of the organization;
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Very organized with the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines; good time management skills are essential; project management experience preferred
• Experience in customer service and/or sales; ability to engage with parents, volunteers, donors, and patrons in a variety of settings.
• The ability to maintain an upbeat, positive attitude when facing problems; creativity in finding solutions;
• Collaborative nature and excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with a variety of personalities to accomplish projects as a team, while also being self-motivated and independent
• Excellent writing and proof-reading skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Experience with design software, such as Adobe InDesign, is beneficial
• Willingness to learn other computer applications proficiently
• Experience with ticketing software and box office procedures is beneficial
• Basic bookkeeping knowledge; experience with QuickBooks is a plus
• General knowledge of and/or enthusiasm for orchestral music, youth music education, and the performing arts
• Some weekend and evening work required during concerts and special events; office hours are 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Our annual Concert-at-Christmas on December 26th from 2:00-10:30 PM is a requirement for this position.
• Valid driver license and access to a reliable vehicle
Working conditions & accessibility: The Office Administrator primarily works in the office while sitting at a desk during standard business hours. This position attends most PYP concerts and special events (evenings and weekends), and occasionally attends local networking or civic events in the community as a representative of PYP. Must be able to lift approximately 25 pounds, and carry items such as boxes, packages of food, tables, or chairs over a short distance. PYP’s office is business casual, dog friendly, and donut friendly. Our office is ADA accessible and on the ground floor. We are located on SW Barbur Blvd right on the #12 bus line. Ample free parking is available on site.
Salary & Benefits: This position is an hourly employee of $14.00 an hour. As a full time employee, the Office Administrator is eligible to accrue sick time and up to ten (10) days of paid vacation per year, and, after 30 days of employment, can enroll in PYP’s health, vision, and dental insurance plans and participate in PYP’s 401(k) plan.
ABOUT PORTLAND YOUTH PHILHARMONIC
PYP, founded in 1924, consists of four large ensembles: Young String Ensemble (YSE) for string students ages 7 to 13, Portland Youth Wind Ensemble (PYWE) for wind, brass, and percussion players, Portland Youth Conservatory Orchestra (PYCO) for intermediate players, and the Portland Youth Philharmonic, or the Philharmonic Orchestra (PYP), for the most advanced students. Camerata PYP, our newest ensemble, is a chamber orchestra comprised of PYP musicians concurrently enrolled in one of the other large ensembles. PYP also incorporates music theory instruction into rehearsals, has a chamber music program, free bass and percussion classes open to the public, a Peer Mentor program offering low-cost private lessons, and master classes. The Philharmonic Orchestra annually performs a series of four concerts at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall; YSE, PYWE, and PYCO perform a series of concerts at Skyview High School in Vancouver, WA and other venues in Portland and Vancouver. Learn more about PYP at portlandyouthphil.org.
Please email a cover letter and resume (both PDF format) with “Application – PYP Office Administrator” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please apply by April 5 for best consideration.
Portland Youth Philharmonic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring and employment practices against any applicant because of gender, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
PYP is committed to being a welcoming and safe community for young musicians and their families of all cultures, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, and circumstances.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers