compensation: $12.50 an hour employment type: part-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people's lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
The Peer Mentor provides advocacy and support to street youth who are drug or alcohol affected, have experienced oppression, or have been involved in the criminal justice system. Peer Mentors work closely with the ROSE Specialists from New Avenues, Outside In, Janus, and NAYA to provide support, information, referral, and crisis intervention to homeless and street youth. Duties are performed in such a way that the Homeless Youth Continuum and ROSE Team can fulfill its mission of improving engagement and support of street youth involved in recovery in all of its forms. Here is a list of sample duties:
• Relates to street youth in a manner which is open minded and non-judgmental in relation to individual differences and diverse backgrounds
• Maintains appropriate professional boundaries in working with others in handling confidential information.
• Creatively problem solves and serves as a role model to youth
• Works effectively within a team dependent environment and be willing to receive and act upon feedback
• Models and encourages direct professional communication among staff/volunteers and peer counselors
Knowledge & Skills:
• High School diploma or GED
• A minimum of one year experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness or personal experience of homelessness
• Demonstrates strong communication and active listening skills
• A minimum of one year experience working with individuals struggling with substance use and/or personal history of recovery from substance use disorder with one year of sobriety.
New Avenues offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers