compensation: $12.50-$14/hour DOE employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
The Meadow is bringing flavor to life, one table at a time. We see beautiful craft salts, handmade artisan chocolate, and small batch cocktail bitters as the quickest and truest connection to the foods and flavors and people of the world. And as much as we all love it, it's about more than just the salt -- chocolate -- bitters -- flowers. With every product we sell we bring meaningful connection, and authentic and supreme quality to the tables of thousands of people. If you crave a cause that can truly reshape our food culture, we have a place for you!
Our ideal candidate will have fierce people skills, a good aesthetic eye, a relentless work ethic, and a sound sense of purpose and place in the Portland community. This is not a job for an introvert who geeks out on artisan products. This is not a job for a savvy business person in between gigs -- or a college graduate contemplating next steps. This is a lifestyle position for someone who lives for forging meaningful relationships with the community, and sees artisan food products as a means to get there. Our customers range from neighborhood locals to professional chefs to culinary tourists from around the world. We take enormous pride in the care and attention we give them -- and we need you to do the same. The desire to stay with us long term is a major plus. Flexible availability, especially on weekends, is a plus.
This is a lifestyle opportunity for the right person. Think honestly about yourself. Do you love learning and sharing across all areas of a company, from co-workers to customers to partners to artisans? Do you find yourself talking to strangers at the grocery or post office, out of sheer curiosity? Do you wake up every day excited to do good work? Do you crave connection? Do you find pride and purposefulness in your daily life? Are you curious about people? Are you assertive but also humble? Are you creative minded but rooted in practicality? If you answered yes to all of the above, we have a pace for you.
We are open to considering candidates with varying levels of retail experience. As The Meadow's NW 23rd Shop Keeper, you will drive daily business objectives and introduce new products to customers in harmony with the Portland Manager and team. Our perfect candidate has the following attributes:
● A full-fledged passion for all things food: eating, drinking, cooking, tasting
● An obsession with customer satisfaction -- the timid or standoffish need not apply
● An uncanny ability to make people laugh
● An unmatched aesthetic prowess -- you'll keep our shop the way you keep your house
● Superior work ethic and can-do attitude
● Superb verbal communication skills
● Ability to work independently for hours on end -- there is no rest for the weary
● Your Schedule is Wednesday to Sunday:
12pm to 8pm at The Meadow NW 23rd
Your workspace is located at 805 NW 23rd Ave. in beautiful, lived in a 450 square foot shop filled to the brim with gorgeous craft salts, artisan chocolate bars from all over the world, small batch cocktail bitters, books, and fresh-cut flowers. This is truly one of the most magical places to work in Portland, OR.
About Us: We have been in business since 2006, opening our first little retail shop on N. Mississippi Ave. In 2010 we opened a second shop in New York City. In 2013 we opened a third shop, and the next year we started Bitterman Salt Co. and began sharing the story of craft salt nationwide.
● Make everyone's day brighter
● Be known for caring about people
● Join expertise with passion
● Take care of each other
● Equate company profitability with cultural impact
● 401k with matching employer contributions
● 40 hours of PTO (after 1 year), increasing every year to a maximum of 120 hours
● Health and vision insurance (after 90 days)
● Jar of craft salt every payday so you can cook and eat like a Sultan of Salt
● An artisan chocolate bar of choice every payday
● "House hour" cocktail after shifts to develop your mixological skills
If you made it this far and are hungry to learn more, we'd love to hear from you. Please include answers to these four questions along with your cover letter and resume.
1. What is your favorite retail shop in Portland, and why?
2. Why should we care about where our food comes from?
3. What qualities do you admire in others and why? What qualities do you detest in others and why?
4. Why do you think you're the right fit for this position?
Applications without a resume and cover letter responding to these four questions will not be reviewed.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers