QR Code Link to This Post
Generic Network Systems (GNS) is a top-tier, boutique managed services/hosting company primarily for investment firms. We manage servers all over the world from our Portland Oregon and New York offices.
We provide expert systems administration for servers in our private cloud (consisting of 7 collocation sites), as well as for client owned servers and offices. We have over 500 servers spread across over 100 networks under our control.
We are looking for a network engineer to join our networking team and help us as we grow our business.
Our network stack is almost exclusively Cisco based; Cisco ASA’s, IOS routers, Meraki Firewalls and Both Cisco and Meraki switches. We also manage several Palo Alto firewalls.
- Day-to-day network support for clients and engineers from our office in Portland OR.
- Support our sysadmin staff and our clients on network fixes and new implementations.
- Setup and maintain VPN connections on Cisco and Meraki firewalls.
- Write, maintain and improve router and firewall configurations.
- Develop and Maintain intrusion detection/prevention systems, responding to and investigating alerts.
- Implement new network monitoring systems.
- Troubleshoot client/server application issues.
- 2-7 years’ experience with medium or large Cisco based networks.
- CCNA or equivalent knowledge. We will sponsor you to obtain certification.
- Solid knowledge of Cisco command line configuration.
- Network security experience including intrusion detection and hardening.
- Experience with open source network monitoring tools including LibreNMS and Open Flow.
- Experience configuring and managing diverse networks spanning 100s of servers.
- A very good understanding of network applications including: DNS, IIS, Apache, backup software.
- Degree in Computer Science or science-related field.
- Good problem-solving ability and strong interest in learning new networking technologies.
Extra consideration will be given to candidates with:
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with Windows/Linux Servers, VMware and SQL Server.
- Familiarity with Python scripting.
- Experience with Icinga, Firepower Services and/or Palo Alto equipment.
- Work in a small, but very experienced team, in a fast-growing company.
- Exposure to a wide range of software and hardware with almost unlimited opportunity to advance and learn.
- Flexible working environment with retirement plan, good health care, and paid vacation.
- $70,000 - $95,000 annual, depending on experience & abilities.
- Willingness to take on-call rotation for after-hours support.
- Travel not required, our clients are global, but all work is from our office.
- Candidates must be able to legally work in the USA. We cannot sponsor a visa.
- Principals Only Please (No Recruiters)
Recruitment and Hiring Policy
The above description identifies the essential job functions and skills needed by the person or persons assigned to this position. These job functions and skills are not intended to be a complete and exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The information contained herein is subject to change at the company's discretion. Generic Network Systems is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Generic Network Systems will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. Please see our Recruitment Privacy Notice link below which describes the personal information or data that is processed by Generic Network Systems with respect to potential employment at GNS. See https://www.gnetsys.net/recruitment for further details.