compensation: $14.91 per hour to start plus excellent benefits and time off employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
This is an hourly, non-exempt position paying $14.91per hour to start. Work schedule is 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday. The company pays 100% of the monthly premium for medical, dental and vision employee-only coverage. Free parking.
Click on this link: Apply For This Job
or go to our website at www.mpdlaw.com and look at the employment page for links to our career center. First create your applicant profile and then attach your profile to the job (s) you are interested in.
The essential duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following elements which require the Legal Assistant to:
• Serve as liaison between client, attorney, client's family and elements of the criminal justice system; assess client needs, refer as appropriate to Alternatives Advocate; coordinate necessary services.
• Conduct initial and subsequent interviews under the direction of an attorney. These interviews can take place in the office, at the jail facility or over the phone.
• Initiate client notification of court dates and other appointments, as appropriate.
• Obtain, analyze and disseminate pertinent records including court, medical, military, criminal and psychological; review sentencing reports, and prepares appropriate support documents; review presentence reports.
• Maintain an organized caseload and current filing system; assist with clerical functions as required; maintain accurate and legible records including current log notes; and make photocopies and generate computer reports.
• Update court appearances, advise staff of schedules and changes, make frequent contact with court docketing personnel to facilitate the smooth flow of case information.
• Participate actively and appropriately in the zealous representation of clients, and in client advocacy.
• Ability to access clients and witnesses in correctional facilities (may preclude employees and applicants arrested and jailed).
• Ability to testify in court without impeachment (may preclude employees and applicants convicted of certain crimes within the prior 15 years).
• Ability to travel to the courthouse or other criminal justice system facilities to see clients and witnesses, or to testify in court.
• Ability to transport or arrange for the transportation of files to and from the courthouse.
• Ability to visually search, enter, edit computerized data.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of agency records.
• Ability to deal effectively with people of widely divergent backgrounds.
• Ability to relate empathetically to clients and their special needs.
MPD has been on the cutting edge of public defense since its inception in 1971, with the goal of providing quality legal representation for people living in poverty. MPD is a 501(c)(3) non-profit law firm that provides public defense, including criminal cases from misdemeanors to capital murder, juvenile cases from delinquency to dependency, mental health cases from civil commitments to mental health courts, and specialty projects from drug courts to community court. MPD is also dedicated to building a holistic model in which MPD is a community-based resource, providing a broad array of legal services to low-income individuals for the purpose of improving outcomes like long-term stability.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers